Friday, January 28, 2011

Getting Old Gracefully

Now, I'm not old (at the ripe old age of 33) as one would normally reckon such things, but I am noticing certain things.  The way my face has changed a bit, I'm not quite as flexible as I used to be, shit like that.

But you know what?  An old fellow I'd met in a bar said the best thing I ever heard in regards to aging:  "Every gray hair is a near-miss."  For those that just went "Huh?" that refers to experience.  Guys (and some gals) in their 20s will do incredibly stupid shit (Trust me, I KNOW this.  Firsthand. ) and not think anything of it.  A decade or two down the line, they'll be doing like I am now and wondering WTF they were thinking at the time.

But stupidity in ones crazier days isn't the point of this (Hey, more blogfodder later!)

I've noticed many people whom attempt to hide the ravages of time on their person.  These folks do things like dye their hair, get facelifts/botox, or cake on the makeup.  The problem with these approaches is the fact that instead of appearing younger, these folks tend to appear embalmed or fake.  I knew an 80 year old woman who constantly kept her hair dyed jet black and caked on the makeup like crazy.  Didn't do a damned thing for the liverspots and the collapsed neck, but she apparently thought it made her look younger.  I just thought it was kind of sad, myself.  People waste millions of dollars every year in a futile attempt to forestall that which cannot be forestalled.  It truly is just sad.

As for me, to hell with that.  Every gray hair *IS* a near miss.  I've survived violence, disease, and accidents all this time and I'm damned proud of it.  I'm pretty lucky to actually be this damned old, why would I want to hide it?  You can't make time go backwards or stop it, so why try? Why worry about it?  Just age gracefully and fuck anyone who doesn't like it.  Denying the fact that time marches on is denying reality, and I for one am not going to fall to such delusions.

But, hey folks, it's your money.  Now, I'm off to invest in Oil of Olay stock...

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, you really can't turn back the clock. There are products that temporarily minimize fine lines or spots but only while you're wearing them (light-diffusing whatevers).

    Being healthy is what allows you to retain your youth longer (besides good genetics lol). Eating right, getting enough sleep, lowering stress, not tanning, etc.

    I think part of the problem is the media. It constantly pushes a "youth at ALL costs" mindset. Models have fine lines, little creases.. Those get airbrushed out so that they have the faces of 7-year-olds. It's kinda creepy.

    ReplyDelete